06 January 2009

Crescendo To Midnite

One day at the dinner table my dad described the fireworks on New Year's Eve in Italy as a "crescendo to midnight". The moment I heard that phrase I left the table and wrote it down. At that point it signified to me that the best part of the day was going to bed and dreaming. Since that sort of angsty depression has died in me, now I just enjoy the phrase as a piece of poetry and beauty. It reminds me to end each day well.


This is one of my favorite things I've ever written. It captured my feelings perfectly, and I love how the words sound together. I love early morning light.

Now the fates have me,
I slip between daylight
and a dream
Awake to see the
gentle eastern light.
A kiss goodnight -
I kiss her and stare
The sheets caress
My mind to slumber.
Daylights flutter past.
I am awake again
momentarily, in
the fading western night.
She sleeps without
Imagination
I sleep perchance to live
I am congratulated
Through it all
There is nothing worse.
A chase to sweat, bleed
To swim, to live, and squeeze
Out of life - purity
But no one is here
Her mouth is slightly open
And I am still me.
.
I live in crescendo
to midnite
The rising...
The rising action of the light
is but to fade to blue
And set


Written 3 Dec 03.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you started a new blog and didn't tell me! I had to find out through the newspaper!

    I only vaguely remember Dad using this phrase. Isn't it funny how I just heard words and you heard..something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What newspaper? Rolla Daily News? Confounded!

    I actually wrote this a while after hearing the phrase, but I was set on using it for the title of my 'book' when I heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great phrase, and I really like that poem. There's something so satisfying about having the perfect line about the way you're feeling, right?
    Kyle Jones

    ReplyDelete