10 January 2009

A Lament for Summer

The summer rests now beneath the leaves
Amid the shallow running puddles
The cold is upon us despite our protest

Where are we now that winter has come?
Our summer revelry has melted to echo
And the drear fall left our hearts glazed

This winter's sad affect writes itself upon us
We are not eager to meet it among the pines
Our life has become narrow, held to heat

And thus we find ourselves indoors, and out of focus
Deciding whether we are ruled by the temperature
Or simply have nothing better to do.

Written 25 Oct 04.

This was written in the wee hours of the morning as I worked a night shift. I've found that my thoughts flow better late at night. Maybe because I am too tired to edit them as they come. Anyway, this has not been edited at all. I wanted to call it "Lament because I can't go camping anymore", but that seemed a little long and manipulative to the reader. I actually love the winter, I've written much more about my love for the snow and the cold. This poem though is my desire for a couple more weeks of fall.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I just stumbled on it, but it is so cool! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete