17 January 2009

On the Ground in Kuwait

The vast sun eases over the wide horizon
Decorating this pale sea of earth in beautiful color.
The tranquil air is chill and crisp. Silence reigns.
I am far from home in this desert,
Making a journey to war 100’s of miles north.
This ocean of sand pulls and pushes me
Gently, rhythmically.
I am afloat this morning and out of reach.

As yet there is no war on this plane
This desert is soothing and beautiful
It slows my racing thoughts and heart
It focuses me on its antiquity

I breathe deep here as we pause our journey
And I consider my place in the uncertain future
Upon these ancient sands.

12 Nov 05

This is the most recent version of this one. I have been editing all of the ones from Iraq and I liked this one. Kuwait was like a dream sequence. Our circadian rhythms were all messed up from flying there and the anticipation was smothering. Then the desert just stretches out in front of you as far as you can see until it blends with the horizon. I felt so small.

No comments:

Post a Comment